Saturday, February 23, 2013
Bath Township firefighters rushed to the 3300 block of Shade Road to extinguish a house fire on Thursday night.
No injuries were reported Thursday after a fire broke out inside a Bath home. According to Bath Township Asst. Fire Chief Tim Gemind, firefighters responded to 3305 Shade Rd. on Feb. 21 at 9 p.m., and began extinguishing a relatively small fire burning in the interior and exterior walls adjacent to the residence's wood burning fireplace. After the fire was doused, smoldering insulation was removed and smoke was ventilated from the home, said Gemind. The homeowner was reportedly out to dinner when the fire started, and happened to come home just as the fire broke out. Damage was estimated at $10,000. The Copley, Fairlawn and Richfield Fire Departments assisted in putting out the fire.
Friday, January 25, 2013
The fire occurred at 1340 N. Cleveland-Massillon Rd. on Wednesday.
The residents of 1340 N. Cleveland-Massillon Rd. are looking at about $100,000 in damage after a fire ripped through part of their home on Wednesday. The fire, which started in the chimney and moved into the second story and attic of the residence, was quickly extinguished by the Bath, Copley, Fairlawn and Richfield Fire Departments. According to Bath Fire Chief Walter Hower, the blaze caused roughly $80,000 in structural damage and $20,000 in smoke damage. "My advice to residents would be to have their chimneys regularly cleaned and inspected, especially given the season we're in," said Hower. No injuries were reported. This is the second time a structure on this property has caught fire within a year. Read on: Bath Man's Property …
Wednesday, January 23, 2013
Part of Cleveland-Massillon Road is still closed while crews finish at the scene.
A Copley man driving home from work on Cleveland-Massillon Road was in the right place at the right time. "I saw smoke as I was coming down the valley there," said Eric Lisowski. "I don't know what made me turn around to look, but I did and I saw flames." The house at 1340 N. Cleveland-Massillon Road, across from R.B. Stout, caught fire some time around 3:50 p.m. Wednesday. Firefighters on the scene think it may be a chimney fire, but crews are still at the scene. A portion of Cleveland-Massillon Road is still closed as crews work to clean up the scene. "I pulled my car up the driveway and ran up to their door and started banging as hard as I could," Lisowski said. "No one was coming to the door and I was yelling." The homeowner, his wife …
Thursday, January 10, 2013
Information provided by the Bath Township Fire Department.
The fire at the Our Lady of the Elms Athletic Complex Sunday was accidental, said Bath Township fire Chief Walter Hower. Carli Kistler Miller, executive director at the Elms, said the fire was started by a heater that was left on in the restrooms. Miller said the heaters are always on to keep the pipes and equipment from freezing. The fire started around 12:30 a.m. on Jan. 6. A motorist on the highway called it in as she was driving home from Aurora. By the time the fire department got there, the approximately 3,200-square foot concession stand/storage facility was fully engulfed. Get this and other police and fire stories delivered to your inbox each morning for free by joining Patch. Click here.
Wednesday, January 9, 2013
On Sunday morning, the Our Lady of the Elms athletic complex in Bath Township burned down.
On Sunday morning, around 12:30 a.m., Amy Ciccotelli called 911 after seeing a blaze at the Our Lady of the Elms athletic complex in Bath Township. "I was driving home from Aurora and couldn't believe what I was seeing," Ciccotelli posted on Fairlawn-Bath Patch's Facebook page. "... I was frantically telling (the dispatcher) to PLEASE (sic) hurry, that they were gonna (sic) lose the whole building." The Bath Fire Department arrived around 12:40 a.m., said Lt. George Seifert, and by then a building used as a concession stand and storage facility was enveloped in flames. Get this and other police and fire stories delivered to your inbox each morning for free by joining Patch. Click here. The building has been deemed unsafe and the cause is …
Sunday, January 6, 2013
Information provided by the Bath Township Police Department.
A driver on Interstate 77 was the first to see it early Sunday morning. When the Bath Township Fire Department got to the Our Lady of the Elms athletic complex on Ira Road around 12:40 a.m. it was too late. A fire that started some time around 12:30 burned down the approximately 3,200-square foot building used as storage and a concession stand, said Bath fire Lt. George Seifert. The building has been deemed unsafe. The cause is still under investigation, Seifert said. Firefighters from Copley, Fairlawn, Richfield and Valley were called in to help extinguish the flames. Seifert said it took about 30 minutes to get the fire under control and 50 minutes to find and put out the hot spots. Read more about the complex here.
Tuesday, November 27, 2012
This is the third hurricane where Tim Gemind has aided in the relief efforts.
Katrina and Rita are the ladies of Tim Gemind's past. Better add Sandy to that list, too. Gemind, assistant fire chief for Bath Township, recently headed up to Long Island's Suffolk County as a part of Ohio's Emergency Management Assistance Compact "EMAC is a system that allows states to reach out to other states for resources," Gemind said. "On the Saturday before the storm hit (Oct. 27), emails came from New York and New Jersey with requests for help." The first deploy of an Ohio team was sent to the east coast and five days later, they requested back-up. Gemind headed to Long Island on Nov. 5. Stationed in a "situation room," Gemind answered calls for resources, such as a dump truck or ladder. It was his job to find out the availability…
Tuesday, March 6, 2012
Jake Kasson saved his family from a house fire on Feb. 14.
Jake Kasson, 16, was the man of the hour at Monday's Bath Township Trustees meeting. Jake was recognized by trustees and the Bath Township Fire Department for his heroic efforts in saving his family from a Feb. 14 fire at their home on Farmstead Road. The fire was started by a bucket of hot ashes left on the back porch, said fire Chief Walter Hower. The damage is estimated to total $125,000. The fire started around 11:30 p.m. and Jake was the only person awake. When he heard a crackling sound at the back of the house, he thought someone was breaking in. He soon learned the house was on fire. Jake's father, Pete Kasson, said Jake ran upstairs and started screaming that there was a fire. While Jake's mother called 911, Jake went into his …
Wednesday, February 22, 2012
The back of a Farmstead Road home caught fire Feb. 15.
The fire that started at 2485 Farmstead Road on Feb. 15 was caused by a bucket of hot ashes on the back porch, said Bath Township fire Chief Walter Hower. "The fire has been deemed accidental," Hower said. "No matter how long ashes sit outside, you don't know if they're cool or not, and it was the right circumstance for them to generate their own heat." The ashes were from an indoor fireplace and set in a bucket out on the back porch. Damage to the home totaled $125,000, Hower said. The home is owned by James and Michelle Kasson. No one was hurt in the fire thanks to the Kasson's son Jake. Jake, 16, was the only family member awake around 11:30 p.m., and heard a cracking noise at the back of the house. He was able to wake up his three …