Thursday, November 8, 2012
Firefighters say the fire started in a mulch bed outside the restaurant.
A fire started outside Copley's Steak on a Stone Tuesday night, according to News Channel 5. The fire started just before 7 p.m. in a mulch bed, Channel 5 reports. The fire did not spread inside. Firefighters from Bath, Fairlawn and Copley responded. Read more about the fire here. Were you there when the fire broke out? Tell us what you saw in the comments.
Friday, August 31, 2012
Nobody was hurt and the apartment is not habitable.
Nobody was hurt in a Thursday night apartment fire, according to Fairlawn fire Chief Russ Hose. The 9 p.m. fire on Riviera Drive in Fairlawn is being called accidental by investigators. Hose said the fire may have started when a candle was left unattended. The fire just damaged one apartment, and because of smoke damage, the residents can't live there, Hose said. The four-unit apartment building, at 2824 Riviera Drive, was half vacant, Hose said. The other tenant was not hurt. Fairlawn called the Copley and Bath fire departments for help. See video from the fire here. Want to know when more police or fire news is posted? Follow Fairlawn-Bath Patch on Facebook.
Saturday, July 7, 2012
The three most popular police and fire stories on the site this week.
Hands down, crime is one of the more popular topics on Fairlawn-Bath Patch, besides the Rothrock Road closure controversy, of course. So we rounded up the three most popular crime stories this week, in case you missed any. 1. A Massillon man thought he was making a fair trade after a taxi ride when he offered the driver marijuana to pay for his fare. 2. The pavilion at the Bath Community Activity Center caught fire after police said someone threw what looked like a candle jar in a garbage can. 3. Two men ran into Summit Mall's Hollister store and stole nearly $1,200 in clothing. A store employee tried to follow the men but was distracted by someone who may have been involved in the heist.
Friday, July 6, 2012
Information provided by the Bath Township Police Department.
A Bath Township police officer was doing a routine check of Bath Community Activity Center on June 29 when he saw smoke coming from one of the pavilions. The officer saw one corner of the pavilion was on fire and was burning up toward the roof, a police report said. The fire started on the wood decking in a nearby trash can, said Parks Director Mike Rorar. It burned the trash can to the ground, then caught the deck on fire and it spread to the support post. When the officer saw the fire, he immediately alerted the Bath Township Fire Department and it was extinguished within minutes. Rorar said it looks like someone threw away a candle that melted in the heat and caught fire. "If it had burned for 10 more minutes, we wouldn't have a shelter…
Tuesday, May 22, 2012
The fire started around 1 p.m. Monday.
A Granger Road man's house caught fire Monday afternoon as he was renovating the home, said Bath Township fire Chief Walter Hower. The home, at 4363 Granger Road, is owned by Bart Pignatelli, according to the Summit County Auditor's website, but that could not be readily confirmed with Hower. The fire was caused when the owner used a heat gun to remove paint from the house. Hower calls the fire accidental. There was an estimated $40,000 in damage to the structure, but there were no contents in the house since it is being renovated, Hower said. There were no injuries, and the fire was out within 15 minutes. About six gallons of water was used, Hower said. Mutual aid was provided by Fairlawn and Richfield fire departments.
Thursday, April 12, 2012
There is a voluntary recall on a toy exclusively sold at Kohl's.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announced a voluntary recall on toy truck gifts given with the purchase of boys T-shirts exclusively at Kohl's because one caught fire and three others were smoldering. The toy is battery operated and there have been reports that the battery compartment can smolder or catch the trucks on fire, posing a fire and burn hazard to consumers, according to a Fire Service Alert forwarded to Patch by Stow Fire Safety Educator Sandy Ray. No injuries have been reported. This recall involves Big Movers Super Car toy trucks that were gifts with the purchase of Big Movers T-shirts that were sold between February and March. The 4-inch long blue trucks have over-sized tires and a flashing light on top and were …
Monday, February 27, 2012
Fire departments from Cuyahoga Falls, Stow, Fairlawn and elsewhere were called to help subdue the fire, which has engulfed the VFW on Main Street.
At 3:45 p.m. on Monday, police received a report that the Cuyahoga Falls VFW was on fire. Fire departments from Stow, Hudson, Fairlawn and Tallmadge were called in to help subdue the fire at 1581 Main St, said Cuyahoga Falls police Lt. Dale Gramley. As it stands, there are no injuries and police suspect that faulty electrical wiring may have been the cause. A large section of Main Street is currently closed to keep the public and passers-by at a safe distance.
Wednesday, February 15, 2012
Information provided by the Bath Township Fire Department
A family of six called the Bath Township Fire Department around 11:30 p.m. Tuesday about a fire that started at the back of their Farmstead Road home. The fire was found in the back "mechanical room" of the house, according to Bath firefighters. It was extinguished using 120 gallons of water, but damaged totaled roughly $125,000. Four of the family members were taken to the hospital, including the father who helped get all his relatives out of the home. The extent of their injuries is unknown. The cause of the fire is still under investigation. Bath Fire called in mutual aid from the Richfield and Fairlawn fire departments. The fire department would not release the names of the homeowners, but according to the Summit County Auditor's …
Thursday, January 5, 2012
Cause and extent of the fire is undetermined.
Thursday, July 7, 2011
Trustees approve deal with Revere Local Schools for recycling drop-off center.
Bath Township Trustees in their Tuesday meeting approved purchase of a dump trunk from Montrose Ford for $41,399.40 as well as $150,590.75 in requisitions and regular purchase orders. The trustees approved a transfer of $12,306.24 from the general fund to the park fund for maintenance of the Bath Nature Preserve. The trustees approved an amended lease agreement with Revere Local Schools to license and maintain space at Bath Elementary School, 1246 N. Cleveland-Massillon Rd., for a recycling center. It is funded by the grant money. "This is an excellent project," Nelson said. "It's truly a wonderful project between school and community." The trustees also reappointed Richard Bradner to the the Zoning Commission from July 1, 2011, to June …