Just a few days after Memorial Day, Fort Island Primary School will be taking time to honor another parent and veteran.
The school will dedicate a tree to Capt. Joshua McClimans, an Army nurse who was killed in Afghanistan, said Principal Bob Whitaker. Whitaker said it was a terrible surprise when he found out about McClimans’s death.
“It’s a tough thing.”
Whitaker said McClimans was a volunteer in the school, doing anything they needed parent an extra hand for, like helping with parties or reading to the children.
There will be a brief ceremony, dedication of the tree and a stone placed in McClimans’s honor on Thursday.
Whitaker said McClimans was very humble and quiet - if the school called, he would show up. He said McClimans’s didn’t seem like an Army officer.
“He was just a dad,” he said.
Whitaker said McClimans definitely loved his children and was a “real giving guy.”
The Copley-Fairlawn Board of Education approved a resolution recognizing McClimans for “his courage, service, and ultimate sacrifice in service of our country” at its May meeting. The board also named Thursday as Capt. Joshua McClimans Day in the district.
In other school news:
Commencement will be held at 2 p.m. June 5 at the Akron Civic Theater.
- Revere's senior banquet will be held at 6:30 p.m. Thursday.
- The senior awards program will be held at the high school at 7:45 a.m. Friday.
Commencement ceremonies will be held at 2 p.m. June 5 in the school gymnasium.
- Copley High School's spring sports awards reception is from 6:30 to 10 p.m. Tuesday in the auditorium.
- On Thursday, the school will have its senior awards ceremony from 8:30 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- The senior spring picnic is at noon Thursday at Copley Community Park.
The Ohio Parole Board has scheduled a July 20 clemency hearing in Columbus for , the Akron woman who was convicted of falsifying records to enroll her children in .