In just 10 minutes, eight people were shot by one person in a quiet Copley Township neighborhood. Seven of those people died. The incident ended with the gunman being shot and killed by police.
Today, Copley police released more details, including two 911 tapes that reveal the terror of that morning when Michael Hance, 51, shot his girlfriend and stalked and killed seven of her family members and neighbors.
Hance was killed near a house on Schocalog Road by a police officer, Copley Police Chief Michael Mier said.
Rebecca Dieter, 49, Hance's girlfriend, was shot several times; she is in an intensive care unit at an area hospital.
Seven people were killed. They are:
- Russell Johnson, 67.
- Gudrun Johnson, 64, Russell's wife.
- Bryan Johnson, 44, their son.
- Autumn Johnson, 16, Bryan's daughter
- Craig Dieter, 51, of Walton, Ky., who is Rebecca Dieter's brother.
- Scott Dieter, 11, Craig's son.
- Another teenager who has not yet been named because police have not yet notified her family members.
This video includes the 911 tapes and press conference photos taken by Roger Sommer for Fairlawn-Bath Patch.