Today, communities across the country will find ways to give back and honor Martin Luther King Jr.’s legacy through the National Day of Service.
According to the Corporation for National and Community Service, this tradition began in 2009 with President Barack Obama’s first Inauguration. This year, the presidential Inauguration and Martin Luther King Jr. Day land on the same day of the year, and the National Day of Service in honor of King is taking place on Saturday.
To find volunteer opportunities near Fairlawn and Bath, use the corporation’s website or the National Day of Service’s website. There are no activities listed in town, but there are a variety just a short drive away in Akron.
According to the most recent Volunteering and Civic Life in America study, about 27 percent of all U.S. residents volunteered in 2011. The same is true for Ohio residents, and the state ranks 28th out of 50 and the District of Columbia in terms of the percentage of residents who volunteer.
Will you be spending some time giving back to the community today? Do you need more volunteers for your project this weekend? Tell us about your plans in the comments below.
Most Popular articles
- House for Sale Has Bathroom with Whirlpool Tub, Double Sinks
- Child Taught to Steal, K9 Teased, Man Attempting to Bail Friend Arrested: Best of the Blotter
- What’s the Going Rate For a Lawn Service in Fairlawn and Bath?
- Man Needs Stitches after Petting 'Friendly' Dog: Police Blotter
- Police Ask Parents to Register Graduation Parties